“It isn’t enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it.
And it isn’t enough to believe in it. One must work at it”
Who We Are
Circle Up is a non-profit corporation, working to help members of our community improve interpersonal relationships and communication, thereby resolving personal and societal conflict in an innovative, practical and effective manner.
What We Do
- We collaborate with individuals, families, businesses and community organizations to foster a more peaceful and productive society.
- We use best practices, combining ancient tradition with current research.
- We provide training in social and emotional intelligence, and effective empathetic communication.
- We provide structures and processes for conversation that create, restore and nurture relationship.
- We provide training and resources that help individuals understand the root cause of conflict and how to resolve it.
- We literally and figuratively, Circle Up, creating connection and finding common ground that transcends conflict and empowers personal and community growth.
Why We Do It
- To facilitate healing from trauma and prevent future harm.
- To empower communities to be resilient and harmonious.
- To transform the paradigm of fear, hatred and violence to one of peace, empowerment and restoration.
CO-FOUNDERS & CO-DIRECTORS
FOUNDING BOARD MEMBERS
Jeff Gann (President) – Kim Burt (Vice-President) – Richard Mead (Treasurer) –Tim Dean – Jessi Miller – Ryan Van Fleet – Laurie Zink
How We Came To Be
Two days before Rev. Cindy Grimes of Centers of Spiritual Living, Ocala began a Community Peacebuilder Immersion Training in Gainesville offered by the River Phoenix Center for Peacebuilding there was a shooting at a local school, Forrest High School on April 20, 2018. Having raised children in Ocala and being form a family of law enforcement this really shone a spotlight on the fact we are all vulnerable to instantaneous life changing threat of violence and the devastation it brings to a community. This reinforced for her the need for local peacebuilding and that the time to start is now. Armed with this inspiration and her training, she set forth to gather a group of community members to bring peacebuilding to Ocala, Marion County and the beyond.